Click here for the latest at RunEatGossip »

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Hai Kee Teochew Char Kway Teow

I have been eating char kway teow since young and my absolute favourite is Hai Kee Char Kway Teow. This stall used to be at Margaret Drive and my family used to patronise the stall when we were staying in the area. Thus I can safely said I seen the young man grew old and he seen me grew old as well! But then again, he still looks younger than me! Must be the secret ingredients that he put into his CKT!

Anyway, with the closure of the Margaret Drive Hawker Centre, he has now moved to Telok Blangah Crescent. Since the move late last year, I have not been there and so I was all excited when a friend invited us there to sample his father's Char Kway Teow and it turns out his father is the famous Hai Kee Char Kway Teow!

So a big group of us gathered for a Char Kway Teow feast and we had CKT with hum (cockles), more chilli, less chilli, no hum etc. After a rather lengthy wait, (son also got to queue up), we finally got our order.
Photo by Francis Chia
A lot of time, after a stall has been relocated or even the hawker centre upgraded, for some reasons or other, the taste change. Or maybe due to a change in the ingredients, (like trying to do a healthier version), the taste change and most time for the worst. Did the taste changed in this case?

Thank goodness it did not! It still taste the same, not too wet and not too dry and comes with a generous heap of cockles. Mind you, this is sinful food and not for the health conscious but I enjoyed every single bit of it and slurped down every single morsel even before the rest of the noodles came for the other people in the group! At $3.00 a plate, (I think price has increased), it is still worth every single cents if you don't mind the cholesterol inducing oil and lard!

Photo by Jancy Yap
Hai Kee Teochew Char Kway Teow is now at Blk 11 Telok Blangah Crescent Hawker Centre opposite Safra Mount Faber. They also have a facebook page and a blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin