Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Raynox Super Macro Conversion Len DCR-250

I got a macro lens but it wasn't enough since we got 2 photo enthusiasts at home and 2 camera. Being a cheapskate, and not wanting to spend a bomb on another macro len for the other camera, I decided to look for something else that I can add on to a "normal" lens and I found the Raynox DCR-250 Macro Conversion Len.

There are 2 advantages to this. First it would cost me much less and secondly, if we go out, I can mount a zoom len on 1 camera and a macro lens on another and I am ready to take picture of close up and distance objects.

I bought it from MS Color. It cost $125.00 which was pretty decent compared to $800.00 to more than a thousand for a macro len.



It comes in 2 part. A universal adapter (top) and what is essentially a magnifying lens(bottom).

 Screw in the lens to the adapter and the assembly is complete. As simple as that. 

Just clip on the universal to any standard size len and volia, you are ready to go.


But does it really work? Test it out.

Nikon D7000 with 55 - 200 mm len. 55mm focal length Auto

Same camera same lens with the Raynox DCR-250 at 85mm focal length Aperture Priority

I could get so close to the subject like this watch here

I was all excited. This was great. So I took it outdoor and sadly, it fails miserably. One thing I have not mention so far is that it can only work in Manual mode and is not suitable for zoom lens, something I found out sadly when on my first outing with it, I couldn't manage to take a single good shot. Basically, to take a shot, one need to attached it to preferably a fixed focal lens and then just move in close until the subject is sharp in the viewfinder. The manual actually recommend using the live view mode though. But moving in close to a small little critter is easier said than done. One slight movement, be it from the wind, the insect or just the breathing and there goes the photo. But after some practice, I finally think I got the hang of it with these few photos taken at Tampines Butterfly Park. Not perfect, yet a very drastic improvement over the past few attempts when I don't even want to post them.




Need much more practice but at less than $150.00, it is a viable alternative to a macro lens. In fact, it can even be fitted on a macro lens for a really super close up but steady hands is needed to get a good shot.

1 comment:

  1. Wah....investing on camera accessories is never ending ya...now younger girl is so into photography too so you can imagine .... have fun :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin